In typical British Bank Holiday style this May Bank Holiday has been a bit of damp squib weather wise. Saturday and Sunday cool and showery and today, Monday, warmer but a soggy first half! Despite the weather we got lots done, in-between dashes to the shed to dodge passing showers.
Spent most of the drizzly unpleasant early afternoon in my shed potting on some seedlings peacefully listening to the birdsong. Watching our resident robin hopping around right outside the door! Both the pair come down though Mr Robin is more confident with us than Mrs Robin. She’s far more cautious and skittish. He’s getting quite tame, just as long as we don’t get too close he’s happy for us to work on HIS allotment plot!
What we got done today…
Potted on my rather leggy and feeble looking Brassica.
Made up my wigwam for my French beans.
Turned out the latest Bokashi bin contents and added some brown paper for a layer of carbon.
Mr W finished his raised bed project. Adding a lovely border around the top end of the plot by our treasured thornless blackberries.
Sowed some parsnips (Tender & True), carrots (Ulyeses), beetroot (chioggia), spring onions (Ishikura) a few more broad beans (The Sutton), radish (sparkler and French breakfast), Cornflowers and finally a trough of spinach (Galaxy).
Potted on the little-shop-of-horror-wannabe Cucurbita. And my Tomatoes into larger pots.
Turned two used chicken poop tubs into a Comfrey feed bucket. Going to try the dry method this year. Soaking it was just too stinky!
Staked my peas with some thin bamboo canes.
Feed the garlic with spent coffee grounds.
Ignored the weeding for another day!
Despite the gloomy weather we got lots done, a very productive allotmenteering. For all our hard work we were rewarded for our graft with some early evening sunshine. Leaving the showers for an other day.